Good morning Prince William – Please join Voluntter Prince William Thursday, July 25th for Christmas in July, an event to support the Un-trim-A-Tree Holiday Gift Program for needy kids. 10 Restaurants in Old Town Manassas have gotten together to sell raffle tickets for $5 each for your chance to win gift cards to their establishment and also for a chance at the grand prize of an I Pad Mini. All proceeds benefit the Un-Trim-A-Tree Holiday gift Program.Gather your friends and family so you can treat them to dinner between 5:30-9pm at any of these super restaurants – Mackey’s American Pub who is also accepting toys, City tavern, Malone’s Okra’s, City Square, Carmello’s, Monza, Philadelphia Tavern, Katerina’s and Grounds Central Station.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for a volunteer to help a wonderful lady living in Manassas who is mastering new computer skills. The position is flexible and all support/coordination will be provided by Brain Injury Services. No experience is necessary but knowledge and interest in computer skills and/or iphone apps would be helpful.
· National Night Out in the City of Manassas Park is scheduled for Tuesday, August 6th from 5pm to 9pm at Signal Hill Park. For more information go to www.manassasparkpolice.com.
· Keep Prince William Beautiful needs 5-10 volunteers to join them for a Litter Survey of Prince William County. A van is provided to drive the group throughout the county while they complete a litter survey form. Call Anna at 571-285-3772 for details.
· Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge has started their Annual Fill a Backpack program to help kids at Potomac View Elementary start the new school year with all supplies necessary to be successful in school. You can drop off backpacks with age appropriate supplies such as wipes, glue sticks, crayons, pencils, notebooks and other fun things at Hendrick Honda and they will give you a voucher for a $19.95 oil change. It’s a win-win for all. Please check out their website at: hendrickauto.com for more info.
· The Hilda Barg Homeless prevention Center sponsors a Veterans Outreach program the last Thursday of every month from 10am-2pm. Come learn about services available for vets including housing stability, referrals, transportation, budgeting and housing search. Please call the center at (703) 680-5403 to learn more about this program for vets. The Center is also collecting the following items to provide supplies to our local homeless population: bottled water, hand sanitizer, non-perishable food, and insect repellant. Please contact Barbara at 703-680-5403 to help.
· Catholic Charities-Hogar Immigrant Services in Manassas, Dale City and Woodbridge is gearing up for their ESOL programs to begin in the fall. Tutors, teachers and assistants are needed at various times and locations in the community. This flexible schedule is sure to match yours. Please call Lisa at (571) 208-1572 ext. 102 to learn more.
· Nature Visions is offering free photography classes and free admission to their big 3-day expo in November to volunteers taking photos for non-profit agencies. Signups begin August 1st. Please call Bill at (703) 594-6423 to learn more.
· BEACON Adult Literacy Program needs volunteers in the Manassas area to teach ESL, adult basic Ed, citizenship and conversation. Classes are Monday through Friday mornings and evenings. Prior experience is not needed as the free training will give you all the skills needed to be successful. Volunteers may teach either mornings or evenings once or twice a week. Enjoy your summer and start in the fall. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· New Creatures in Christ Ministries Food Pantry in Woodbridge needs volunteers to help Tuesday evenings 5-7pm and Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10am-2pm. Teen volunteers are very welcome as they are gearing up for a busy summer supporting families from 2 elementary schools so the kids continue with healthy meals for the summer. Please call Josephine at (703) 409-3022 for more info.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) needs senior volunteers age 55 and older to provide transportation for a veteran to get to their local doctor’s appt. All vets are referred to us by Aging and you’ll have lots of advance notice for their appts. It’s also not too early to sign up to tutor kids in grades K-3 in reading and math next school year. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.