Breaking News
Home » Around Town » Flotilla Way Fire Incident

Flotilla Way Fire Incident

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

On Thursday, April 20th at 6:31 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to an apartment fire located in the 16800 block of Flotilla Way in Woodbridge. Upon entry, fire and rescue crews observed fire damage to a bedroom’s carpet and television from a fire extinguished by the occupant. No injuries reported. According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the apartment sustained minimal damage estimated at $1,000. The fire originated in the bedroom; the cause was an unattended candle and has been determined as accidental.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee discourages the use of candles in bedrooms and sleeping areas. “A candle is an open flame that can ignite anything that burns,” states Chief McGee. “Therefore, we suggest using battery-operated flameless candles that provide the appearance of a lighted wick and resemblance of a real candle.” He continues, stating, “Flameless candles are fire-safe, yet dangerous to kids, especially toddlers, due to their use of button batteries. Button batteries cause severe injuries if swallowed. When using items containing button batteries, additional safety precautions should be taken.”

Check Also

Volunteer Opportunities in Greater Prince William

Provided by Volunteer Prince William Cheers to Semper K9 Assistance Dogs on the recent purchase …