Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue
On Thursday, April 27th at 2:51 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 2100 block of Gunsmith Terrace in Woodbridge. Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke showing from the rear of the first and second floor. As fire and rescue crews made entry they encountered a small kitchen fire which was quickly extinguished. One occupant was transported to a local medical facility for minor injuries. No additional injuries reported. According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the townhome sustained minimal damage estimated at $25,000. The Building Official has posted the home unsafe. Red Cross was on scene to assist the family, three adults, five children and their pet. The origin and cause of the fire was unattended cooking on a kitchen stove top and has been determined as accidental.
Prince William County Fire & Rescue Chief Kevin McGee urges residents to take the necessary precautions when cooking due to cooking fires being the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. These fires are preventable by simply being more attentive when using cooking materials and equipment.
Look When You Cook:
- Stay in the area of the cooking equipment when you are frying, grilling, broiling, boiling or microwaving food.
- If you must leave the area, turn off the equipment.
- When simmering, baking or roasting, check it frequently and use a timer as a reminder.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of any and all combustibles (e.g., potholders, towels, rags, and food packaging).
In addition, Chief McGee would like to remind residents that working smoke alarms save lives (pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms). You double your chances of surviving a home fire with working smoke alarms compared to homes without working smoke alarms.