Provided by Prince William County Schools
Each year, PWCS students join the droves of high school students filling out the extensive application from VDOE in hopes of attending one of the Summer Residential Governor’s School Programs. This summer, 72 students are among the brightest young minds in Virginia for a once-in-a-lifetime four-week experience on campus. Another nine PWCS students will attend Governor’s Foreign Language Academies.
The Summer Residential Governor’s Schools provide gifted PWCS high school juniors and seniors intensive educational experiences, complementing the World-Class education they receive during the regular school year. Students are involved in classroom and laboratory work, field studies, and research. They take part in individual and group projects and performances, and attend seminars with noted scholars, visiting artists, and other professionals. The students may also work side-by-side with research scientists, physicians, and other experts.
Each school focuses on one special area of interest—visual and performing arts; humanities; mathematics, science, and technology; life science and medicine; or through mentorships in marine science or engineering. Students stay on a college or university campus for up to four weeks, living, studying, and getting to know other students with similar interests and abilities from across Virginia.
This summer’s attendees are:
PWCS Students Attending 2017 Governor’s School Summer Residential Programs:
- Governor’s School for Agriculture at Virginia Tech: Kelly Croker, Rohan Hosuru, Battlefield; Maria Baig, Hylton; Lillian Cai, Jacob Cody, Joshua Gilliard, Colgan; Edward Cho, Forest Park; Meghan Hancock, Madeline Johnson, Derek Siegrest, Forest Park; Eugene Lee, Nejib Mcgill, Gar-Field; Melissa Pineda-Perez, Osbourn Park; Kofi Asiedu-Agyei, Potomac; Mackenzie Beavers, Stonewall Jackson.
- Governor’s School for the Humanities at Radford University: Caterina Deuser, Grace George, Gyu Ri Kim, Seou Park, Rohan Vij, Battlefield; Renee Anderson, Kate Arnold, Olivia Gale, Isata Karmara, Nipa Patel, Hylton; Valerie Guyant, Sydnie Marshall, Kammeryn Pierre, Krystal Sims, Forest Park; Margaret Lacasse, Rida Subzwari, Gar-Field; Kelemwork Timbite, Osbourn Park; Rimsha Ahmed, Madyson May, Rishi Mehta, Kira Merrill, Patriot; Alexander Benjamin, Stonewall Jackson; Eva Kemal, Woodbridge.
- Governor’s School for Mathematics, Science, and Technology at Lynchburg College: Harrison Kwak, Calvin Min, Noah Wong, Battlefield; Ian Yung, Hylton; Katherine Cinnamon, Matthew Cinnamon, Daniel Dereberry, Matthew Metcalf, Michelle Miller, Alexander Romano, Christopher Taylor, Forest Park; Deon Ababio, Gar-Field; Zaki Panjsheeri, Samanthaa Towsend, Charlotte Tsang, Patriot; Frederick Hagen-Gates, Woodbridge.
- Governor’s School for the Visual and Performing Arts at Radford University: Jacqueline Gottschalk, Valeria Guerrero, Nathan Ray, Katie Tiller, Battlefield; Brianna Lawrence, Hylton; Victoria Beech, Alyssa Jones, Kayro Mendoza-Ibarra, Moira Negrosa, Grace Nicoletti, Tya Robinson, Clay Ward, Katherine Yared, Colgan; Avery Engstrom, Abigail Jones, Forest Park; Grace Momeau, Jack Little, Patriot; Bryanna Toll, Stonewall Jackson.
Students attending the Governor’s Foreign Language Academies are as follows:
- French: Barbara Diaz, Erin Murray, Battlefield; Charlotte Davis, Brentsville District; Sanika Borah, Woodbridge.
- Spanish: Hee Kim, Battlefield; Mcallister Reed, Colgan; Kelley Roth, Gar-Field.
- Japanese: Laura Orozco Rotela, Sally Soto, Patriot.
For more information, visit the Governor’s School Web site.