By Roxy Rowton
August is the ideal period for a sanctioned sojourn between the essence of summer and fall: the transitional juncture from recreational pursuits to occupational endeavors. While many accept the concept of a seasonal wardrobe sweep, fewer embrace the benefits from doing so. Here are five reasons to carry out a seasonal wardrobe sweep during the time between summer and fall:
- Purging fosters a balanced wardrobe. Take stock of the items you have currently and re-evaluate one piece at a time. Every garment in your wardrobe should embody individual aesthetics, flatter body type and suit lifestyle. Purging the inessential and undesirable items enables the construction of an interchangeable, functional wardrobe of clothes that relate to each other, work for a variety of occasions and express individuality.
- Reducing clutter creates order. A stuffed closet is complete disorder and confusion as you get dressed. Knowing which items are in the closet and wearing those garments enhances and elevates the wardrobe.
- Organizing supports wardrobe structure. An individual needs an organizational system for knowing what’s inside his or her closet. Develop an organizational system that uses closet space more desirably to reinforce outfit building and boosts garment mileage.
- Shopping from a list helps create the right wardrobe mix. A thoughtful edit and arrangement of the seasonal closet can unmask any missing items from the wardrobe that reconcile day-to-day style with carefully edited trends. To most appropriately assemble this garment medley of indispensables and fashionables, make a list of every missing item while editing and organizing the seasonal closet.
- Updating from the bottom up fashions a curated wardrobe. An ideal wardrobe has very little to do with a considerable bank account or a sizable amount of garments. It has everything to do with you taking stock of the wardrobe and assessing it from the bottom up. Seasonal wardrobe sweeps involve an amalgamation of updating and maintaining: refashioning specific elements of the wardrobe, incorporating new additions, interpreting trends into carefully edited essentials, organizing the closet space and defining style aesthetics.
Before autumn’s official entrance, take a fashion interlude to pause, reflect and sweep the wardrobe for a seamless passage to a mode of dressing appropriate for the season.
Wardrobe and style consultant Roxy L. Rowton ([email protected]everydayrefinement.com) spends much of her workweek in the closet or the fitting room helping women look and feel their very best. She has two-plus decades in the fashion, apparel and beauty industries.