Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue
On Friday, Sept. 29 at 2:48 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 15800 block of Mackenzie Manor Drive in Haymarket. Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed heavy fire on the rear deck of a townhome that had extended through the roof. Firefighters commenced suppression and immediately extinguished the fire. An occupant of the townhome was transported to a local hospital and was treated and released with non-life threatening injuries. The home sustained extensive damage estimated at $450,000. Two additional units sustained minor damage. The Building Official has posted the home unsafe. Red Cross was on scene to assist two adults displaced by the fire.
The fire originated on the deck; the cause was improper disposal of smoking materials and has been determined as accidental.
Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee advises residents to take precautions when using smoking materials. “Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and although unintentional, the majority of home smoking-material fires are caused by human error.”
On Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7:17 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire located in the 10100 block of Lomond Drive in Manassas. Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews discovered fire in a classroom trailer on the grounds of Stonewall Middle School. Firefighters initiated suppression and immediately extinguished the fire. No injuries reported. The trailer sustained moderate damage estimated at $15,000. The Building Official has posted the structure unsafe. According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the origin and cause was electrical and has been determined as accidental.