Breaking News
Home » Around Town » Mercury Drive Fire Incident

Mercury Drive Fire Incident

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

On Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 1:10 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single family home located in the 11400 block of Mercury Drive in Manassas.

Upon entry, fire and rescue crews discovered a fire in a bedroom. Firefighters immediately extinguished the fire with no further extension.

The occupant was awoken by a smoke detector sounding and heat from the fire. The mattress she was laying on had caught fire. The victim then gathered her three children and vacated the house and called 9-1-1. No injuries were sustained by the victim or her children. The home sustained extensive damage estimated at $75,000; the Building Official was notified and called to the scene for further evaluation.

The fire originated in the bedroom; the cause was smoking in bed and has been determined as accidental.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee advises residents to take precautions when using smoking materials. “Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and although unintentional, the majority of home smoking-material fires are caused by human error.”

Check Also

PSAT Scores Available Online

Provided by Prince William County Schools (PWCS) The wait is over for students who took …