Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- Anyone will be able to travel on the express lanes.
- Dynamic tolls on the lanes will manage demand for the lanes and keep traffic moving in order to move more people, provide more reliable trips, and offer new travel choices.
- Tolls will be reinvested in the I-66 Corridor to help fund new transit routes and park and ride lots to provide commuters with new choices.
- If driving alone, you will have to pay a toll and will need an E-ZPass.
- If carpooling as HOV-2+, you can continue to use the lanes for free with an E-ZPass Flex.
When the express lanes open on I-66 Outside the Beltway in 2022, vehicles will need to have three or more occupants to travel for free.
- Buses will travel the lanes for free with an E-ZPass Flex or E-ZPass classified as a bus.
- Electronic signs will display current toll prices at each entry point.
- Drivers will see two pricing signs before committing to take the express lanes.
- Drivers will lock in their toll price automatically when entering the express lanes.
- Signs will show the prices for up to three destinations. Even if your exit is not displayed, you will be able to get a general idea of the toll to your destination.