Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue
On Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7:00 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to an apartment fire located in the 10500 block of Stonington Lane in Manassas. Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed smoke showing on the side of the apartment. As firefighters made entry, they discovered a kitchen fire and initiated attack on the fire and extinguished it. One of two occupants, home at the time of the fire, sustained non- life-threatening injuries and was transported via medevac to a local medical facility for further treatment. No other injuries were reported. According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the apartment sustained $40,000 in damages and was posted by the Building Official as unsafe. Red Cross was on scene to assist the second resident who was displaced by the fire. The origin and cause of the fire was a cooking fire and has been determined as accidental.
Prince William County Fire & Rescue Chief Kevin McGee urges residents to take the necessary precautions when cooking due to cooking fires being the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. These fires are preventable by simply being more attentive when using cooking materials and equipment.
Look When You Cook:
- Stay in the area of the cooking equipment when you are frying, grilling, broiling, boiling or microwaving food.
- If you must leave the area, turn off the equipment.
- When simmering, baking or roasting, check it frequently and use a timer as a reminder.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of any and all combustibles (e.g., potholders, towels, rags, and food packaging).
In addition, Chief McGee would like to remind residents that working smoke alarms save lives (pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms). You double your chances of surviving a home fire with working smoke alarms compared to homes without working smoke alarms.