By Amy Taylor
Sponsored by Town of Occoquan
Enjoy a full day of fun and free activities for the whole family in downtown Historic Occoquan. Discover Occoquan takes place on Saturday, May 18 from 11:00 a. m. to 8:00 p. m.
Town manager Kathy Leidich said, “Discover Occoquan is a fairly new event that celebrates our town businesses and community in a unique and exciting new way– through demonstrations, workshops, games, and a concert with a beer garden. Visitors will come to appreciate all that Occoquan has to offer: from the beauty of our river and parks to our unique shops and dining experiences, we truly have it all for a fun weekend getaway!”
Here are 50 fun things you can do at Discover Occoquan.
- Have your tea leaves read at 13 Magical Moons.
- Watch an art demo at Artists’ Undertaking Gallery.
- Join the candle pouring workshop at Gift and Gather.
- Watch Marla paint on the porch at Glory Be.
- Watch a hair braiding demo at Hair Studio 14.
- Take a ghost tour with Hauntingly Historic Occoquan Ghost Tours.
- Make your own envelopes at Hitchcock Paper Co.
- Join the tea party at Rockledge Mansion, featuring Lady D.
- Try SCUBA at Patriot Scuba.
- Watch a food demonstration at Personally Yours.
- Make your own puzzle at Puzzle Palooza, Etc.
- Watch a pottery wheel demo at Shifting Tides Studio and Gallery.
- Watch a stained-glass demo at Sincerely Yours Stained Glass Studio.
- Take in a yoga class in River Mill Park.
- Make an essential oil bracelet at Soaring Spirit Yoga Studio.
- Take in a painting demo at The Loft Gallery.
- Join a walk-in painting class at The Reclaimed Treasures.
- Watch an image transfer demo at VanEch Studio.
- Learn to finger crochet at Yarn Cloud.
- Check out the Klutz book collection at Mandrill Toys.
- Learn how to wrap a scarf at Details of Occoquan.
- Listen to an expert talk about investments at Edward Jones.
- Have a henna tattoo at So Bohemian.
- Watch an artist at work at Art a la Carte.
- Look for hidden gems through town on our Scavenger Hunt.
- Take a history tour with the mayor.
- Take a photo at our photo booth.
- Join the dedication of the new historical marker at Mill House Museum.
- Bid on an item in the silent auction at Town Hall.
- Enter your kids in a drawing for the Occoquan Kids Council.
- Listen to a local author read from his new book set in Occoquan.
- Watch Will Rogers’ U.S.A, presented by Kaleidoscope Theatre Company.
- Play cornhole in River Mill Park.
- Grab a beer from the beer garden in River Mill Park, featuring Water’s End Brewery.
- Listen to great music from Nashville’s own Cheley Tackett in River Mill Park.
- Bird watch for Occoquan eagles, ospreys and herons.
- Take in an outdoor dining experience.
- Hike one of our many trails.
- Take a photo next to our LOVE sign.
- Kayak in the river.
- Treasure hunt at Mill House Museum.
- Taste the yummy gelato at Tastefully Yours.
- Stay overnight at an AirBnb.
- Feed the ducks on the town dock.
- Relax in the gazebo in Mamie Davis Park.
- Read the VFW military tribute banners on the telephone poles.
- Watch the boat parade.
- Try the satay at Bann Thai.
- Have a piece of famous pie at Moms.
- Try the out-of-this-world delicious pizza at Third Base.
Admission to the event is free. Parking on-street and in the public lot is free. Free off-site parking with shuttle bus service is available at the Route 123 Commuter Lot. For more information and a schedule for the day’s events, visit occoquanva.gov/discover-occoquan or email the Events Director at [email protected].