By Erin Pittman
Sponsored by Town of Occoquan
Looking for that old-time Christmas charm this year? Look no further than the quaint Town of Occoquan’s Winterfest. In this annual celebration of the season, Historic Occoquan will host fun for the whole family on Saturday, Dec. 14 from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The celebration begins with Santa’s Lake Ridge Parade on Harbor Drive in Lake Ridge. The parade kicks off at 11:00 a.m. It’s followed by a Winter Wonderland at Tacket’s Mill, which lasts until 2:00 p.m. and includes a parade award ceremony, live music, treats and giveaways.
Santa will cruise in to Occoquan’s Mamie Davis Park on a boat at 2:00 p.m. He’ll head over to Town Hall at 314 Mill Street for pictures until 4:00 p.m., when the rest of the festivities in Occoquan begin.
Visitors are invited to take the free shuttle into town and browse the town’s unique shops, boutiques, galleries, restaurants and cafes, and experience all Occoquan has to offer — including unique gifts for everyone on your shopping list. In between shops, warm up by one of the many fire pits and roast marshmallows or sing holiday carols with the Woodbridge Community Choir as they carol through town. You’ll also find free hot chocolate to warm your heart and hands.
“Occoquan is full of unique and charming shops — perfect for finding gifts for those special folks on your list. We’ve loads of fun winter activities and the town is so beautifully decorated for the holidays. WinterFest in Occoquan is the perfect winter event,” said Events and Community Development Director Julie Little.
Winterfest Holiday Activities
From 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., enjoy a variety of holiday activities throughout town.
- Sing along with the Woodbridge Community Choir as they carol throughout town.
- Sample roasted chestnuts at Gift & Gather.
- Enjoy the Dunbar Saxophone Quartet’s performance at Town Hall.
- Warm up with hot chocolate at Tastefully Yours.
- Explore children’s activities located throughout town.
- Pick up gourmet s’mores fixings and roast some treats at the fire pits.
- Take your turn at Puzzles on the Porch at Puzzle Palooza, Etc.
- Grab some delicious eats like cookies and caramel apples at The Pretentious Gourmet.
- Visit Hitchcock Paper Co. for a local celebrity book signing.
- Sip some cider at Patriot Scuba.
- Welcome the Rockledge Elementary School Music Program at Mamie Davis Park.
- Check out the entries to the Occoquan Gingerbread Contest at Town Hall. (Interested in competing? Find categories and all the info you need to enter on the Town of Occoquan website.)
Workhouse Art Center’s Second Saturday Art Walk
End your day of festivities with Workhouse Arts Center’s Second Saturday Art Walk from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Meet local artists creating in the campus studios or exhibiting in the galleries. Find a variety of mediums including paintings, ceramics and glass blowing. Workhouse Arts Center is located at 9518 Workhouse Way in Lorton.
Mark your calendars now and get ready for a fun day of holiday festivities. The Town of Occoquan offers free, off-site shuttle service between the VDOT lot at 123 and Occoquan between 2:00 and 8:00 p.m. for town events.