Bakersfield Street Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue

On Tuesday, August 11th, at approximately 6:00 p.m., fire and rescue crews were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 14600 block of Bakersfield Street in Dale City.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed fire blazing from the front of the home. Firefighters proceeded to attack and extinguish the fire while searching for further extension; no further extension was found.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, earlier that evening, the resident was soldering pipe and left to run an errand. A neighbor heard the smoke alarm sounding and observed smoke billowing from the roof and rear of the home and proceeded to call 911.

No injuries reported.

Two adults were displaced by the fire.

The Fire Marshal’s Office has estimated preliminary damages at $10,000.

The origin of the fire was on the first floor in the front of the home. The cause of the fire has been determined accidental.

When engaging in hot work operations, the potential for accidents is significant. Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents to “be cautious by wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), maintaining a safe workplace and adhere to safety rules.” Before a hot work operation is conducted:

 Have the appropriate fire extinguishers available.

 Move all combustibles at least 35 feet away from the area.

o If working in a confined space, follow the confined space procedures.

 Area should be well-ventilated.

 Do not leave hot work equipment unattended, even for a brief moment.

 Upon completion, monitor the hot work operation for at least 30 minutes as a precautionary measure.

For additional safety tips for Hot Work, visit SafetyToolbox at http://safetytoolboxtopics.com/General/safety-tips-for-hot-work.html.

 

Share.

Leave A Reply