Provided by Anna Tjoumas, Pampered Chef Consultant
If you’re looking to step up your salad game and cooking skills, this dish is perfect for you. It has everything you need in a summer meal. The colorful veggies go great with the savory flavor of the barbecue chicken, bacon, and homemade buttermilk dressing.
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
- 5 qts. (5 L) water
- ¼ cup (50 mL) salt
- 1 lb. (450 g) chicken tenderloins
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Smoky Barbecue Rub
- 8 oz. (250 g) green beans
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 ears of corn, husks removed (2 cups/500 mL kernels)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen edamame beans
- 2 qts. (2 L) ice bath (see cook’s tip)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned and dried
- ½ cup (125 mL) Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (50 mL) buttermilk
- ½ bunch chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- Season the chicken with the rub. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3–4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Meanwhile, trim the ends from the green beans and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Trim the ends from the zucchini. Cut the zucchini into 3″ (7.5-cm) pieces, then cut them in half lengthwise. Cut into half-moons with the Quick Slice. Remove the corn kernels from the cob with the Kernel Cutter. Slice the tomatoes in half using the Close & Cut and the Coated Chef’s Knife.
- Add the edamame and green beans to the Silicone Collapsible Steamer & Strainer, and gently lower it into the boiling water. After 2 minutes, add the zucchini and corn kernels. Blanch for 2 minutes, then slowly remove the strainer from the boiling water. Shock the vegetables by placing them into the ice bath. Stir the vegetables in the ice bath to cool for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the ice bath and transfer to the Salad & Berry Spinner; spin to remove excess water.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in the Measure, Mix & Pour® and pump the handle to mix.
- Add the chicken, bacon, and lettuce to a large bowl, and chop with the Salad Chopper. Add the vegetables and dressing, and toss gently with the Small Chef’s Tongs.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrients per serving: U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 205 mg, Sodium 530 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 8 g, Sugars 11 g, Protein 26 g