Contributed by Prince William County
PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, VIRGINIA…The Board of County Supervisors adopted its Fiscal 2015 budget during the Board meeting on Tuesday, April 29, 2014. Key priorities for the Board addressed by the $990 million general fund expenditure budget include:
- Public Schools – maintains the revenue sharing agreement and funding public schools with 57.23% of the general funds ($487 million);
- Public Safety
- Fully fund police staffing plan to add 25 sworn officers and 3 civilian staff per year.
- Fully fund 11 new uniform positions for basic life support and tanker staffing in the Department of Fire and Rescue along with two civilian positions
- Fund future expansion of 204 beds at the Adult Detention Center (ADC)
- Bond Projects – Fully fund voter initiated 2006 Library Bond and 2006 Park Bond projects
- o Gainesville Regional Library ($14.2 million)
- o Montclair Regional Library ($15.3 million)
- o Multiple park projects to enhance athletic field spaces ($13.7 million)
“The citizens of Prince William County have spoken, and this budget demonstrates that we have heard them clearly,” said Chairman Corey Stewart. “This Board made a lot of cuts and sacrifices during the down times of the Recession, and now we must begin investing in the community if we are to maintain the quality of life and level of service our citizens expect and deserve. The Board had to work diligently to get the job done and find a way to meet the needs of our citizens at the lowest cost possible, which we have done.”
The Board reduced the real estate tax rate to $1.148, and the average residential tax bill will be $3,788 (including the fire levy).
The adopted budget maintains the Board’s commitment to its strategic priorities, funds the voter approved bond projects, implements the BOCS Strategic Policy Guidance and Principles of Sound Financial Management, and provides a balanced five year plan.
For more specific information about the budget, visit www.pwcgov.org/budget.
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Prince William Living Inc. and it’s staff make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org