Braddock Road Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

On Wednesday, March 15th at 8:55 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 3400 block of Braddock Road in Woodbridge. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered heave fire in the basement that had extended to the second and third floor of the home. Firefighters initiated fire attack and extinguished the fire. No injuries reported. According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $200,000, a total loss. The Building Official has posted the home unsafe. Red Cross was on scene to assist two adults and two children displaced by the fire. The fire originated in the chimney and has been determined as accidental.

Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to urge residents to follow these fire and life-safety tips when using wood burning equipment:

  • Each year, prior to using your fireplace or wood stove, have your chimney and vents inspected and cleaned by a qualified professional.
  • Have a sturdy fireplace screen or keep the doors on the wood stove closed to stop sparks from flying into the room.
  • Burn only dry, seasoned wood in fireplaces and wood stoves and dry, seasoned wood pellets in pellet stoves.
  • NEVER start the fire with a flammable liquid, kerosene or gasoline; use newspaper or kindling.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away.
  • NEVER leave a fireplace or wood stove fire unattended, particularly when children are present.
  • Allow ashes to cool for several days before disposing (up to four days).
    • Dispose of ashes in a tightly covered metal container.
    • Douse and saturate the ashes with water.
    • Place the ash container a safe distance from your home (at least 10 feet).
      • DO NOT store in your home, garage or other nearby buildings.

In addition, Chief McGee would like to remind residents that working smoke alarms save lives (pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms). You double your chances of surviving a home fire with working smoke alarms compared to homes without working smoke alarms.

Share.

Comments are closed.