Brickwood Drive Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by the Prince William Department of Fire & Rescue

On Monday, February 9th at approximately 9:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a fire alarm sounding in a multi-family complex located in the 15100 block of Brickwood Drive in Woodbridge.

As firefighters made entry into the complex, they observed activation of the sprinkler system and found smoke in one unit and called for a full structure fire response. In the primary unit, where the fire originated, the sprinklers had extinguished a fire that originated on the stove; smoke remained throughout the unit with minor fire damage. There was no further extension to the rest of the apartment complex.

Four additional units within the complex received significant water damage from the sprinkler activation; a Building Official was on scene and posted these units unsafe.

Red Cross was called to assist 15 residents of which 4 required housing assistance.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $40,000.

The origin of the fire was the kitchen stove; the cause was determined as an accidental cooking fire.

Cooking fires is the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue ( would like to remind residents to Look When You Cook:

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
  • Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Turn off the stove, if you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove, i.e. oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains.
  • NEVER throw water on a grease fire! If possible, cover the pot/pan with a lid to smother the fire and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For oven fires, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • For microwave fires, leave the door closed, turn the oven off and unplug it from the wall
  • If the fire does not go out, get outside and call 911.

Leave A Reply