Provided by Volunteer Prince William
- Be a good neighbor this week! The weather forecast looks frightful, but please check on your neighbors especially the elderly. We will get lots of requests from seniors for help shoveling their walkways so it’s the perfect opportunity for you to get a little fresh air and exercise while helping emergency management focus on those that don’t have that special neighbor like you! We greatly appreciate all you can do for our neighbors.
- Snow storm volunteers will be needed! – Please check out our website volunteerprincewilliam.org for all the specifics as the storm comes through and it’s safe for you to be out and about.
- Habitat for Humanity’s new ReStore grand opening has been rescheduled for Saturday January 30. The ribbon cutting is at 8:45 a.m., doors open at 9:00 a.m. and all the fun festivities of food trucks, bands and amusements are from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Great party to kick off a very successful program. At the corner of Hastings Road and Dumfries Road.
- Mark your calendars for Monday February 8 for the Baking the Pie with YOUR Dough Program. It’s a special lively panel discussion by opinionated and engaged community advocates addressing the creation of the County’s annual budget. The event is hosted by Our Prince William and PWC SCOPE. This promises to be fun and educational. The free event starts at 6:30 p.m. at the NVCC Woodbridge Campus- Lakeside Theater and open to all. Please register for this event on either organization’s Facebook page: facebook.com/
ourprincewilliamva or facebook.com/pwcscope.
- Are you passionate about hunger relief? If so, SERVE Food Assistance Specialist opportunity is the role for you. Duties include greeting clients arriving for assistance and get them checked in, welcoming them to the self-serve shopping area and assisting them as needed, preparing food packages and checking clients out before they leave, among other duties. PWL Volunteer hours are flexible Monday–Saturday. Youth under 16 must volunteer with a parent. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds. For more info, please contact Jan Hawkins at [email protected]
- Spring is right around the corner! Mark your calendars for Saturday April 2 for the Civil War Trust Annual Park Clean-up Day at Bristoe Station Battlefield. The event is 8:00 a.m.-12:00 noon. Come maintain, restore and preserve this little jewel. Duties include litter pick up, trail maintenance, cleaning the cemetery throughout the 140 acre park. Wear sturdy work shoes, bring gloves and don’t forget the sunscreen. Tools and snacks provided; please no pets. Meet at the parking lot off of Iron Brigade Unit Ave. Call Bill at (703) 366-3049 with any questions.
- Disaster Recovery Training designed for Places of Worship to help us in times of disaster. Come learn how we can work together in community recovery. This valuable training is Wednesday February 3, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at the George Mason Prince William Campus. It’s free but please register with Bonnie: [email protected]
volunteerprincewilliam.org or by phone at (571) 292-5302.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to play disaster jeopardy or bingo to the residents of senior living facilities to better prepare them for weather or other disaster event. We need many Vanna and Pat teams for this fun project. Please call Coleen at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
- Mark your calendars for the 25th Annual Strikes for SERVE Bowl-a-Thon on Saturday March 12th at Bowl America, Mathis Avenue, Manassas from 1:00-4:00 p.m. This super fun event is full of music, prizes and bowling for a great cause. Please visit their website to register at nvfs.org/bowlathon or call Pam at (571) 748-2537 for more info.
- If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 1, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 0, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 3. Please visit our newly revamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org
. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.