Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Prince William Conservation Alliance is hosting a free drive-thru Tree Giveaway April 3, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Todos Supermarket, 13905 Jefferson Davis Highway, Woodbridge. Click here for details, to include registration information. Each person with an Eventbrite ticket will take home two seedlings – one Redbud and one Dogwood. It’s a fun way to spruce up your yard for spring! Please email Ashley for more information.
- Does your organization have that “one in a million” volunteer or community partner who has been especially helpful to your agency during this pandemic? Here’s your chance to recognize and thank them for their service – nominations for the Virginia Governor’s Volunteerism & Community Service Awards are still open! Please visit virginiaservice.virginia.gov/volunteering/governors-volunteerism-awards/ to view the categories and submit your nomination. Online nominations must be submitted by 5:00 p.m., April 23. Winners will be honored in May. Email VirginiaServiceInfo@dss.virginia.gov for more information.
- CRi – Choice. Respect. independence. needs handy volunteers who can make Corn Hole Boards, Bean Bags and Kindness Cards to bring some cheer and fun to their residents. Please visit volunteerprincewilliam.org and search for cri under Organizations for details, or email email@example.com to learn more.
- Mark your calendar – the next DEA National Prescription Drug Take Back Day will be held April 24, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The two Novant Health UVA Health facilities in Manassas and Haymarket, along with Sentara Lake Ridge in Woodbridge, will accept and safely dispose of your unused and expired medications. This is a good way to clear out your medicine cabinets before anything falls into the wrong hands. Please visit /takebackday.dea.gov/ for more information.
- House of Mercy needs volunteers in their Thrift Store, Donation Center and Food Pantry. Adults must successfully complete a background check. Youth under 16 are welcome but must volunteer with a parent or guardian. This is an excellent way for students to fulfill those service hours requirements for school and you’ll feel great as you provide services and goods for the vulnerable residents in our community! Please visit houseofmercyva.org/volunteer/ to learn how you can get involved. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Pink Space Theory needs volunteers age 16+ who can assist with graduation planning for their programs at local elementary schools, assist with delivering class supplies to schools and any additional local help as needed. Email email@example.com to learn more.
- Did You Know: Prince William Food Rescue Heroes who are “55 and better” can also join the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)! Along with the benefits of volunteering to do home food deliveries, RSVP members also receive a mileage stipend and insurance coverage while on their volunteer shift. Just an hour or so of your time helps provide food to local families facing food insecurity! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can join.
- The SERVE Hunger Resource Center needs Food Recovery Driver volunteers to make routine pick-ups from grocery stores and restaurants. Shifts are Monday-Friday, 8am-12pm with a commitment of at least one day a week. Must commit to serve in this position at least 6 months. Volunteers must be at least 21 years old with a valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Ride along training with experienced volunteer or staff and vehicle provided. One day a week can make a life-long impact on a family in need! Please email email@example.com to learn more.
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
- Medical Reserve Corps Support your local health department and your community during a public health emergency! Volunteers are needed to support several missions, including public health education and outreach, disease investigation, vaccine clinics, and more! Medical experience is not required; they have roles for everyone! Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, complete minimum training, and pass a state background check to serve. Please fill out an application at vamrc.org. Questions? Please email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers to be Shelter Service Associates in the event of a disaster during COVID-19. Volunteers work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event, completing tasks necessary for shelter operations and providing assistance for disaster clients. Duties include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Prince William Food Rescue (PWFR) needs Food Rescue Heroes as the program is super busy delivering food to both ACTS and SERVE homebound senior citizens. Volunteers are urgently needed countywide! Home food deliveries are no contact and follow social distancing guidelines. PWFR is an app-based program enabling volunteers to pick up viable, close to expiration food from supermarkets, restaurants, food pantries, etc., and then deliver it to a program that can immediately use the food. Just an hour of your time will do much to provide relief for food insecure families in our community! More info on PWFR may be found at pwfoodrescue.org/. Please contact Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845.521.0118 for more information.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at 703.369.5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.