Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Every week, Volunteer Prince William issues a call to action with a list of local volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteers needed for the Stream Cleanup event on Saturday, March 16 from 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon in Manassas at 10651 Lomond Drive. Soil & Water Conservation District will provide litter bags, grabbers and gloves – but please wear boots. Great activity for student service hours! Please RSVP to [email protected].
- The Virginia State Parks system invites teens age 14-17 to join the 2019 Youth Conservation Corps program this summer. The first three-week session is June 23-July 13 and the second session is July 21-August 10. You’ll work hard by restoring and preserving wetlands, stream banks, endangered species and other wildlife habitats. You’ll learn about water quality testing, nursery management, recycling and other community improvements. At the end of the program each member receives a $500 stipend and qualifies for community service hours. Applications due March 4: dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/youthconservation-corps.
- The Quantico Creek Clean-up in partnership with the Town of Dumfries is rescheduled for Saturday, April 13 from 9:00 a. m-12:00 noon. This is a great way to solve the plastic pollution in the creek. Cleanup supplies will be provided; please wear boots and dress for the weather. Please contact [email protected] to learn more.
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and driftwood. The work days are March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
Instruction and Training
- Northern Virginia Family Service needs volunteers to enroll eligible individuals and families for Medicaid benefits throughout the Northern Virginia area. You’ll need to attend application training, commit to at least three events for the two-hour shift, so you have all the skills needed to help families with their applications. Please email [email protected] to learn more and receive your volunteer application.
- Agape Love in Action needs volunteers to teach basic computer classes at the Manassas Senior Center on Tuesdays for two hours. Please email [email protected] for more info,
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer tons of training topics to build your skill set. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
Meal Prep & Food Distribution
- Please join Lutheran Church of the Covenant and the Woodbridge Rotary Club pack 30,000 meals for those in need overseas on Saturday, March 23 from 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. Please register to volunteer: events.stophungernow.org/LCC19.
- SERVE Food Pantry needs volunteers to pick up food donations at area grocery stores and restaurants and deliver them to the Pantry. Monday is an especially busy day. They also need bilingual Spanish speakers to assist with client intake Monday-Friday. Please email [email protected] for more info.
- Volunteers are needed at The Catholic Charities Saint Lucy Food Distribution Hub in Manassas to help sort, package and perhaps deliver food items to local food pantries in the area in 40-pound boxes. Hours are Monday-Friday 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p. m. Come help families in need. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
Working with Youth
- Youth for Tomorrow needs volunteers to share their hobby or talent with at-risk teens on the weekends. Do you like golf, sewing, dancing, cooking baking writing poetry crocheting, writing songs !or other fun thing? Then you’re the perfect person to share your talent with a kid. Please register online.
- Youth for Tomorrow also needs male mentors to coach a young man on some basic life skills and find the right path into adulthood. It’s a great way to get out of your comfort zone and make a positive impact on a youth! Please register online.
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- ACTS has a great way for you to celebrate spring by donating to their Prom Shop so more girls can enjoy that special day. They are collecting dresses, shoes, new make-up and accessories to share with the kids. Please call Lydia at (703) 441-8606 ext. 249 to learn more.
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
- House of Mercy invites you to their Afternoon Tea & Fashion Show event on Sunday, March 31 at 2:00 p, m. Tickets are just $35 for a great time. Purchase your tickets here.
- The Kennedy Center will open the REACH this September. Volunteers are needed weekly to welcome visitors to the free activities, performances, events and learning lab. Please visit their website to learn more or email [email protected] for a volunteer application.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.