Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William issues a weekly “call to action,” listing a number of local volunteer opportunities. Here is this week’s list:
Outdoor Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteers needed at the Merrimac Farm on Saturday, March 30 and April 13 from 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. Come join the fun of weeding, pruning and watering plants in anticipation of the Annual Bluebell Festival on Sunday, April 14. Please wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes and bring a smile and a bottle of water. Please RSVP to [email protected] or (703) 490-5200.
- Experienced kayakers, canoeists and Jon boaters needed on Saturday, April 20 from 9:00 a. m.-2:00 p. m. for the 10th Annual Upper Occoquan River Clean-up. There are many entry points for your boats. Please pre-register. There are on-land sites as well.
- The Quantico Creek Clean-up in partnership with the Town of Dumfries is rescheduled for Saturday, April 13 from 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. This is a great way to solve the plastic pollution in the creek. Cleanup supplies will be provided, but please wear boots and dress for the weather. Please contact [email protected] to learn more.
- The Tough Mudder is coming to Silver Lake in Haymarket on June 1-2. This team-oriented 8-10 mile obstacle course will have thousands of participants. Volunteers are needed in lots of locations and duties. You won’t want to miss this fun event. Please visit their website to learn more. You can also email [email protected] for more information. This event is hosted by the PWC Office of Tourism.
- ACTS has a great way for you to celebrate spring by donating to their Prom Shop so more girls can enjoy that special day. They are collecting dresses, shoes, new make-up and accessories to share with the kids. Please call Lydia at (703) 441-8606 ext. 249 to learn more.
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and drift wood. The work days are March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
Food and Meal Distribution
- Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to deliver Meals on Wheels to homebound seniors throughout the community. It just takes about two hours to pick up the meals from either senior center and deliver to your clients. They also have a need for volunteers at the Adult Day Healthcare Center to play games with gentlemen and to assist with bingo on Friday mornings and Monday afternoon. Please visit the county website to learn more: pwcgov.org/government/dept/aaa/pages/volunteer.
- Please join Lutheran Church of the Covenant and Woodbridge Rotary Club pack 30,000 meals for those in need overseas on Saturday, March 23 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. Please register to volunteer.
- SERVE Food Pantry needs volunteers to pick up food donations at area grocery stores and restaurants and deliver them to the Pantry. Monday is an especially busy day. They also need bilingual Spanish speakers to assist with client intake Monday-Friday. Please email Navara for more info.
- Volunteers are needed at The Catholic Charities Saint Lucy Food Distribution Hub in Manassas to help sort, package and perhaps deliver food items to local food pantries in the area in 40-pound boxes. Hours are Monday-Friday 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p. m. Come help families in need. Please email Debra to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
Teaching and Mentoring
- Northern Virginia Family Service needs volunteers to enroll eligible individuals and families for Medicaid benefits throughout the Northern Virginia area. You’ll need to attend application training, commit to at least three events for the two-hour shift so you have all the skills needed to help families with their applications. Please email Karen to learn more and receive your volunteer application.
- Youth for Tomorrow needs volunteers to share their hobby or talent with at-risk teens on the weekends. Do you like golf, sewing, dancing, cooking baking writing poetry crocheting, writing songs or other fun thing – then you’re the perfect person to share your talent with a kid. Please register online: youthfortomorrow.org.
- Youth for Tomorrow also needs Male Mentors to coach a young man on some basic life skills and find the right path into adulthood. It’s a great way to get out of your comfort zone and make a positive impact on a youth! Please register online: youthfortomorrow.org.
- Agape Love in Action needs volunteers to teach basic computer classes at the Manassas Senior Center on Tuesdays for two hours. Please email Corliss for more info.
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer tons of training topics to build your skillset. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email Arielle to learn more.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension is having their next Homeownership Seminar on Saturday, April 13 from 9:00 a. m.-3:00 p. m., with lunch included. Come learn about credit, financing, inspections, title companies and the closing process all for free. Please email [email protected] or call (703) 792-6287 to learn more and register for the seminar.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 4 for the Annual Comcast Cares Day. This year, Leadership Prince William will fix up the ARC Child Care Center in Dale City. They need tons of volunteers to help with this cause. Please visit their website for all the info and to register for this event.
- The Kennedy Center will open the REACH this September. Volunteers are needed weekly to welcome visitors to the free activities, performances, events and learning lab. Please visit their website kennedy-center.org/pages/support/volunteers to learn more or email Tiffany for a volunteer application.
- House of Mercy invites you to their Afternoon Tea & Fashion Show event on Sunday, March 31 at 2:00 p. m. Tickets are just $35 for a great time. Please visit their website to purchase your tickets.
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit our website. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.