Provided by Manassas City Councilman Ian Lovejoy
Micron, a global leader in semiconductor manufacturing, will be investing $3 billion to increase local production capabilities in the City of Manassas. Most importantly, this will add 1100 good paying local jobs directly in Manassas, and many more indirectly. The City of Manassas competed internationally with other Micron sites, and bested them to become home for this expansion.
This is an incredible testament to our community, our citizens, and signals to the business community that the City of Manassas can compete not only regionally or nationally but internationally as well. Thank you to the city staff who have worked tirelessly with stakeholders to secure this opportunity for our city.
Important information about the expansion and what it means and brings to our community:
- Micron owns the only semiconductor fabrication plant in Virginia
- The plant was originally established by IBM and was acquired by Micron in 2002. Micron has made major investments in the facility twice before
- The $3 billion current expansion is the largest capital investment in modern state history
- Micron is the City’s largest employer. The expansion will create 1,100 direct jobs at Micron and many more for local contractors
- Micron is currently the top exporter in Virginia. The increased capacity will make this the largest export related project in Virginia history
- Micron is the City’s largest tax payer. The expansion will generate additional tax revenues for the City
- Micron is the City’s largest utility customer. The expansion will generate new revenues for the utility fund