Congress Street Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Tuesday, October 11th at 6:43 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a two-story single family home located in the 1300 block of Congress Street in Woodbridge.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed fire blazing from the second floor. Firefighters made entry, initiated suppression and extinguished the fire.

No injuries reported. Three adults, two children, and a pet cat are displaced by the fire. Two additional cats are currently unaccounted for.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $100,000, a total loss.

A Building Official has posted the home unsafe. The fire started in a second floor bedroom; the cause was combustibles too close to a heat source/candle and has been determined as accidental.

Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee suggests the following candle safety tips to keep you and your family fire-safe throughout the year:

  • Use sturdy candle holders that won’t tip over easily and are made from a material that cannot burn, such as metal, ceramic or glass and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Protect candle flames with glass chimneys or containers.
  • Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from things that can catch fire, like clothing, books, curtains, silk and dried flower arrangements, holiday decorations and Christmas trees.
  • Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
  • For emergency lighting, use flashlights not candles.
  • The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) discourages the use of candles in bedrooms and sleeping areas.
  • Use battery-operated flameless candles.

Leave A Reply