Provided by Prince William County Schools (PWCS)
A letter from Superintendent Steve Walts:
Dear PWCS Parents, Guardians, and Staff,
Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) places the safety and health of all our families and staff as our highest priority. The COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has been rapidly evolving and we have been closely monitoring the situation. Today, a number of significant developments have occurred that have provided us new information, including the Governor’s declaration of a state of emergency.
Recognizing any changes to school operations have significant impacts on students, I am announcing a number of actions only after serious and considerable deliberation with stakeholders across the County. Our goal is to continue to provide instruction in a safe and effective manner. At this time there is no known direct case of COVID-19 within any PWCS school.
The following are changes I have directed today:
- Effective Friday, March 13, 2020 – All students should continue to attend school on Friday, March 13. Parents can choose to keep students home and the absence will be excused. All extracurricular activities outside of the regular school day are canceled until further notice. This includes before and after-school activities, and community use of buildings and grounds. All field trips, out-of-state trips, team practices, club meetings, interscholastic contests and athletic contests, both home and away, are canceled until further notice. School Age Child Care will continue as regularly scheduled.
- Saturday, March 14, 2020 –The SATs will continue as planned with appropriate health precautions in place.
- Monday, March 16, 2020, will be a teacher and staff workday. This will allow administrators and teachers to collaborate and prepare to ensure continuity of instruction should PWCS need to close for an extended period. Students will not report to school. School Age Child Care (SACC) will operate an all-day program 6L00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. that includes breakfast, lunch and snack.
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020, is a virtual workday, with the exception of essential personnel. Students will not report. School Age Child Care (SACC) will operate an all-day program 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. that includes breakfast, lunch and snack.
- Students will return to school on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. PWCS will continuously monitor updates regarding COVID-19 and will communicate updates as needed.
These closures will also allow an opportunity for additional disinfection of schools and buses.
We continue to value your support as we work together to help support all children, their families, and our staff through this challenging situation. Additional FAQs.
We are continually monitoring this situation and will make updates as necessary.
Superintendent of Schools