Danville Road Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Tuesday, August 23 at 1:42 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single-family home located in the 14800 block of Danville Road in Dale City.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed fire blazing from the rear of a two-story split level house. Firefighters extinguished the fire that had extended into the home and through the roof.

No injuries reported.

The fire was discovered by one of the residents approximately one hour after placing ashes from a charcoal grill into a recycling bin located outside behind the home. The resident alerted the remaining family members enabling everyone to safely evacuate the home.

Red Cross was called to assist the occupants, five adults, two children and one dog, displaced by the fire.

A Building Official was on scene and has posted the home unsafe.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $200,000.

The area of origin was the home’s exterior; the cause was placing ashes from a charcoal grill in a combustible recycling container and has been determined accidental.

To prevent fires and grill-related injuries, Prince William County Fire & Rescue Chief Kevin McGee advises residents to follow these simple safety tips:

  • Propane and charcoal BBQ grills must only be used outdoors.
  • Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below the grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.
  • Place coals in a metal can with a lid, once they have cooled, then store several feet away from the house and other combustibles.

Share.

Leave A Reply

Follow this blog

Get a weekly email of all new posts.