Provided by Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue
On Tuesday, November 25th at approximately 11:30 a.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single family home located in the 16000 block of Deer Park Drive in Montclair.
Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed smoke showing from the rear of the home. As firefighters made entry, they discovered a kitchen fire on the second floor of the home that had extended into the attic. Fire and rescue units proceeded to attack and extinguish the fire as they checked for further extension. No further extension was found.
No injuries reported.
Three adults and one child were displaced by the fire.
Preliminary damages estimated at $15,000.
A Building official was on scene and has posted the structure unsafe.
The fire originated in the kitchen; the cause has been determined as an accidental cooking fire.
Cooking fires is the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind residents to Look When
- Stay in the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling food.
- Turn off the stove, even if you leave the kitchen for a short period of time.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove, i.e. oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains.
- NEVER throw water on a grease fire! If possible, cover the pot/pan with a lid and smother the fire.
If you have a cooking fire:
- Just Get Out! DO NOT attempt to fight the fire!
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number AFTER you leave.
- When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.