Discarded Smoking Materials Spark Blaze in Home

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue

On Sunday, June 7, 2015, at approximately 3:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single-family split-level home located in the 8100 block of Spruce Street in Yorkshire.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed fire on the back deck that had spread to the home’s siding and into the roof. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and searched for further extension; no further extension was found.

No injuries reported.

Red Cross was called to the scene to assist 3 adults displaced by the fire.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $175,000; the origin of the fire was the deck; the cause was improper discarding of smoking materials and has been determined accidental.

A Building Inspector has posted the home unsafe.

Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (www.pwcgov.org/fire) would like to remind residents to take precautions when smoking and discarding of smoking materials:

 If you smoke, smoke outside.

 Provide an area for individuals to properly extinguish and safely discard smoking materials.

 Do not discard butts or ashes into mulch laden landscapes, flower beds, grassy areas, woods, etc.

 Before you throw out butts and ashes, douse in water or sand.

 Use deep, wide, sturdy ashtrays on a sturdy foundation, e.g. table.

 Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.

 Be alert when smoking! You won’t be alert if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.

 Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is used.

 If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes (www.firesafecigarettes.org/); they are less likely to cause fires.

 Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.

Share.

Leave A Reply