With Delicious Make-Ahead Egg Casserole
(Family Features) Plan an Easter gathering everyone can enjoy with a make-ahead menu that includes crowd-pleasing brunch casseroles packed with everyone’s favorite flavors and tasty sweets – and leaves you plenty of time to spend with the family.
“Combine all-star breakfast ingredients like eggs, bacon and cheese into a single dish in this Cheesy Bacon & Egg Brunch Casserole, seasoned with ground mustard and nutmeg,” said Chef Kevan Vetter of the McCormick Kitchens. “The best part about this Easter brunch recipe is you can assemble it the night before – just add an additional 1/2 cup of milk – chill it in the refrigerator and bake it off in the morning.”
For a spring-inspired dessert to complement your brunch casserole, serve Easy Mini Cheesecakes flavored with almond and vanilla extract – topped with an array of fresh fruit.
Cheesy Bacon & Egg Brunch Casserole
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk*
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Mustard, Ground
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13×9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with cottage cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour into baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 minutes. (*To prep the night before, add an extra 1/2 cup of milk and refrigerate overnight.)
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.