Provided by Prince William County
The Prince William Department of Transportation finished approximately $148 million in road projects in 2016, according to a recent quarterly transportation report to the Prince William Board of County Supervisors.
The projects finished this year include:
- Burwell Road-Fitzwater Drive Improvements – $925,459
- Hellwig Park Entrance – $1,085,961
- Logmill Road – $5,569,506
- Gideon Sidewalk – $3,306,070
- Prince William Parkway Phase II – $22,701,039
- Purcell Road – $4,324,379
- Blackburn Sidewalk – $715,055
- U.S. 1 North – $66,555,622
- Va. 234/U.S. 1 – $3,043,314
- Va. 28 Phase I, Linton Hall Road to Vint Hill Road – $39,394,722
Current Prince William County Department of Transportation projects include:
- Burwell Road: Paving of 2,400 linear feet of Burwell Road to the Fauquier County line is scheduled to begin in late summer 2017 and is expected to take two weeks.
- Route 28: Phase II and Phase III of the Va. 28 widening project will proceed together. Construction of Phase II, between Fitzwater Drive and Vint Hill Road, is set to begin in February with completion set for August 2019. The design for Phase III, between Linton Hall road and Pennsylvania Avenue, is scheduled to begin in February with construction set to begin in May 2018 and completion in September 2020.
- Dumfries Road: Authorization to begin work to build southbound dual left turn lanes on Dumfries Road at Hoadly Road was issued in September. Preliminary plans for the project have been submitted to the Prince William and Virginia departments of transportation. The preliminary schedule for project completion is set for September 2018.
- Minnieville Road: Construction activities, including tree removal and utility relocation, have begun on the widening of Minnieville Road between Spriggs Road and Va. 234. Construction is scheduled to be completed in November 2018.
- Route 1 – Featherstone to Mary’s Way: The final design for the road widening project is scheduled to be completed in January when rights-of-way acquisitions will begin. Utility relocations are scheduled to begin in January 2018, and construction is scheduled to be completed in April 2021.
- Antietam Road Sidewalk – Right-of-way acquisition and land use permits have been granted by VDOT. Construction on the project between Old Bridge Road to Woodfern Court is scheduled to begin in January and finish by the end of July.
- Old Bridge Road Sidewalk – Design plans have been submitted to VDOT and the Prince William County Department of Development Services and are currently under review by county staff and the design consultant. Construction is scheduled to begin next summer and finish in December 2017.
- Dumfries Road Shared Use Path – Construction on the shared use path on Dumfries Road between Exeter and Tally Drives is scheduled to begin in May.
- Blackburn Road Pedestrian Improvements – A notice to proceed with the design for the improvements is expected later this month.
- Powell’s Creek Pedestrian Footbridge – Construction on the footbridge is scheduled to begin later this month with the completion date set for July. However, construction could be delayed if it is determined that the project poses a threat to the Northern Long-Eared Bats.
Visit the county’s transportation webpage for more information on projects and studies.
VDOT also provided an update on their projects to the Board of County Supervisors:
- Interstate 66 – U.S. 15 Interchange: Bridge and road construction is underway on the interchange reconstruction. U.S. 15 has been shifted to the new bridge. The new southbound bridge is scheduled to open later this month. Construction is scheduled to be finished in late summer 2017.
- Route 1- Va. 123 Interchange: Work on a retaining wall on the project to build Va. 123 bridge over U.S. 1 in Woodbridge is ongoing. Clearing at the north end of the project is underway and pile driving for the bridge is expected to begin soon.
- Aden Road Bridge: The bridge crossing is open in an interim condition. VDOT is awaiting information on how to proceed with the old bridge truss.
- Route 1 Widening – Town of Dumfries: Design for the project to widen U.S. 1 between Va. 234 and Brady’s Hill Road in the Town of Dumfries is partially funded, a survey is complete and a kickoff meeting has been held. Design is underway and a pre-field inspection is expected to take place in the spring of 2017.
- Route 234 Pedestrian Improvements: Funding has been identified to build a sidewalk along Va. 234 between Four Seasons Drive and Fortuna Center Plaza. An advertisement for bids is expected to go out next spring.
- Dale Boulevard: Design is underway to add a left-turn lane at Hillendale Drive and utility conflicts have been identified. Bids for modification of the Interstate 95 – Ashdale Plaza ramp have been received.
- Old Centreville Road: Major bridge rehabilitation is needed over Bull Run. VDOT recently advertised for bids, which came in higher than expected. The job has been re-advertised.
- Blackburn Road-Rippon Boulevard: A survey has been completed to add a traffic signal at the intersection. Rights-of-way acquisition are scheduled to begin next spring.
Visit VDOT’s website for more information on area road, winter weather, snow operations and more.