Whether they’re fresh, canned, dried or frozen, peaches and pears can easily be included in a healthy eating pattern. Canned peaches and pears are not only delicious and nutritious but are easy to use because they’re precut and washed. When selecting canned peaches or pears, choose ones that are unsweetened or canned in water or 100% fruit juice. Here are two recipes you can try when you’re looking for something different using these delicious canned fruits.
Grilled Cheese With Peaches
This grilled cheese packs an unexpected twist with the sweetness of canned peaches. Not only is this sandwich a quick and easy lunch, but also a fun way to add more fruit and veggies to your day.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
• 8 slices whole grain bread
• 1 15-ounce can peaches, drained
• 8 slices low-fat cheddar cheese
• 7 1/2 cups spinach
• 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1. Heat the 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
2. Place four slices of whole grain bread in the pan.
3. Layer (in this order) one slice of cheese, a handful of spinach, four to six peach slices, another slice of cheese and a slice of bread on top of each original slice of bread.
4. After 4 to 5 minutes, flip each sandwich and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
Try this recipe with other leafy greens, such as arugula, and other cheeses.
Canned pears are also an easy ingredient to incorporate into meals. When canned, pears retain their tastiness and offer a portable, cost-effective and healthy solution in the off-season. Pears are also very versatile. Canned pears and cheese go well together in this quesadilla, with lots of added flavor from basil, onion, and pepper jack cheese.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
• 2 wheat tortillas (8″ diameter)
• 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 2 tablespoons chopped onion
• 2 canned pear halves (sliced thin)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Sprinkle cheese, onion and dried basil on half of each tortilla.
2. Place pear slices on top of other ingredients in each tortilla.
3. Brush each side of folded tortillas with olive oil.
4. Heat each folded tortilla in a nonstick skillet until cheese melts, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
5. Cut quesadilla into four pieces and serve immediately.