Family Displaced by Cooking Fire

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by City of Manassas

City of Manassas Fire and Rescue units were dispatched to a fire in the 9600 block of Aspen Place. The fire started in the kitchen when food was left unattended on the stove. The fire has been determined to be an accident with damage being estimated at about $20,000. At this time the house is uninhabitable and the Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

The City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department reminds residents that when cooking follow these steps to be fire safe:

* Be alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.
* Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
* If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
* Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.

If you have a cooking fire

* Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
* Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
* If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and that you have a clear way out.
* Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
* For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Share.

Comments are closed.

Follow this blog

Get a weekly email of all new posts.