Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue
On Sunday, May 8 at 8:44 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single-family home located in the 9000 block of Forestview Drive in Manassas.
Upon entry, firefighters discovered a fire in the attic and commenced suppression and extinguishment of the fire while searching for further fire extension; no further extension was found.
Red Cross was called to the scene to assist three adults displaced by the fire.
A Building Official was on scene and has posted the home unsafe.
The area of origin was the attic and the cause has been determined as accidental.
Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives (pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms). You double your chances of surviving a fire when you install working smoke alarms in your home.
- Install smoke detectors on every level within the home including the basement.
- Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as needed.
- NEVER remove the battery for use in other appliances.
- Change batteries when you change clocks (spring and fall).
- Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.
Proper maintenance of smoke detectors can cut the chances of dying in a house fire significantly.