Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
All lanes of I-66 West approaching I-495 will close nightly June 15-19 to allow for installation of bridge beams for new ramps at the I-66/I-495 Interchange. Traffic will be detoured using I-495 and Route 50. The ramps from I-495 North to I-66 West and from I-66 West to I-495 South and the 495 Express Lanes South will remain open during this period. The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Tuesday, June 15, through Saturday, June 19
I-66 West at I-495
- I-66 West travel lanes will be closed at I-495 from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. nightly (6:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
- All westbound I-66 thru-traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at I-495 South, exit at Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard) East, stay to the right toward Fairview Park, then take the left fork for Fairview Park North, bear left at the traffic signal and stay to the right following signs to I-495 North and I-66, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- The ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South and the 495 Express Lanes South will remain open to traffic.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:00 a.m. (by 6:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
Ramp from I-495 North to I-66 West
- The ramp from northbound I-495 to I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane from 9:30 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday through Thursday nights, and from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.
- All lanes will open by 5:00 a.m. (by 8:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general purpose lanes.
Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org
and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA
. To receive project updates automatically by email, sign up here