Gableridge Turn Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Monday, May 16 at 3:18 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire at the Summerland Heights apartment complex located in the 1800 block of Gableridge Turn in Woodbridge.

Firefighters located a fire that had occurred on the stovetop and extended to the exhaust fan and cabinets but was extinguished by activation of the sprinkler system.

Firefighters checked for further fire extension but none was found.

No injuries reported.

Red Cross was on scene to assist the occupants of the home, three adults and three children, displaced by the fire.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $2,000.

The area of origin was the stovetop. The cause was determined as unattended cooking and has been determined to be an accidental fire.

Chief Kevin McGee of the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue (pwcgov.org/fire) would like to remind residents that cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. These fires are preventable by simply being more attentive when using cooking materials and equipment.

Look When You Cook:

  • Stay in the area of the cooking equipment when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
  • If you must leave the area, turn off the equipment.
  • When simmering, baking or roasting, check it frequently and use a timer as a reminder.
  • Keep cooking areas clean and clear of any and all combustibles (e.g., potholders, towels, rags, and food packaging).
Share.

Leave A Reply