By Tom McDermott
If you have “fur babies,” you know how much they add to our lives. They give us love, companionship and sometimes a hairy mess on our furniture and carpets! “Pets are members of our families,” said Tom McDermott of Merry Maids, Prince William County. “With a little effort, the only thing people will see in your home is your fourlegged friend, not its fur.” Here are some great to clean up pet hair around the house:
What you will need:
- Vacuum with upholstery attachments,
- Tape roller and
How to do it:
- To remove pet hair from upholstery, use a vacuum with an upholstery attachment.
- Another option for removing pet hair from fabric or upholstery is using a pet rake (a brush with crimped nylon bristles), velour brush, tape roller or even tape wrapped around your hand, and then applying light even strokes to remove the hair.
A “pet sponge” is another option for both upholstery and carpets, especially at the edges where pet hair tends to collect and vacuums have a hard time reaching. These sponges, which are used dry, are available at pet supply stores.
- Regularly brush or groom your pets (if they will let you).
- Purchase washable slipcovers for your furniture.
- Use throw rugs at every entrance to catch hair.
Tom McDermott is the owner of Merry Maids, Prince William County: Helping people keep clean homes since 1988. More tips can be found at merrymaids.com.