Holleyside Drive Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue

On Tuesday, February 10th at approximately 12:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a fire in a single-family home located in the 15400 block of Holleyside Drive in Montclair.

Upon arrival, firefighters were informed that all occupants were safely out of the home. Firefighters made entry into the home where they observed a burning pot on the stove and fire extending into the cabinets. Fire and rescue units proceeded to attack and extinguish the fire containing it to the kitchen.

No injuries reported.

Red Cross was called to assist the occupants, 3 adults, displaced by the fire.

The Building Inspector was on scene to assess the building and posted the home unsafe.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the estimated preliminary damage is $40,000.

The origin of the fire was the kitchen stove; the cause was determined as an accidental cooking fire.

Cooking fires is the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (www.pwcgov.org/fire) would like to remind residents to Look When You Cook:

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
  • Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Turn off the stove, if you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove, i.e. oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains.
  • NEVER throw water on a grease fire! If possible, cover the pot/pan with a lid to smother the fire and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For oven fires, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • For microwave fires, leave the door closed, turn the oven off and unplug it from the wall
  • If the fire does not go out, get outside and call 911.
Share.

Leave A Reply