Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
Demolition of the old Bull Run Drive bridge over I-66 will require reducing I-66 to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile. The reduction will occur from 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 21, to 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 22. Two-way traffic will run on I-66 West to allow crews to safely perform bridge demolition activities over the eastbound lanes of I-66. Crews performed similar lane closures Saturday night, March 7, for demolition of the bridge over the westbound lanes of I-66.
Posted travel speeds will be reduced to 25 mph through the work zone. The Manassas rest areas on I-66 East and West near the work zone will be closed from 9:00 p.m. Saturday, March 21, until around 10:00 a.m. Sunday, March 22. Drivers should expect delays when traveling in this area.
Saturday, March 21: 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. | I-66 East and West between Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) and Route 29 Centreville
- Around 9:00 p.m.: The left-most lanes of I-66 East and West will close between Sudley Road and Route 29 Centreville.
- Around 10:00 p.m.: I-66 East traffic approaching Bull Run Drive bridge will be narrowed to a single lane on the right. Traffic will cross through a gap in the median barrier to travel east in the I-66 West roadway and remain in this pattern past the bridge demolition activity. Eastbound traffic will then cross back to the I-66 East roadway through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10:00 p.m.: I-66 West traffic approaching Bull Run Drive Bridge will be narrowed to a single lane on the right and remain in this pattern past the bridge demolition activity. Westbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where eastbound traffic crossed over to I-66 West.
- Between 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m.: Two-way traffic on I-66 West will be separated by traffic barrels and two closed travel lanes. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control and response.
- By 9:00 a.m.: Traffic will return to normal patterns with a single lane closed in each direction. All lanes will re-open by 10:00 a.m.
- Travel speeds will be reduced to 25 mph through the work zone.
Portions of the bridges not directly over I-66 will be demolished during daytime hours, and will not impact traffic on I-66. Demolition of the bridge piers will occur after the decking has been removed and will require closure of multiple lanes.
The new Bull Run Drive bridge fully opened to traffic in early March. The old bridge is being demolished to allow space for new highway lanes underneath.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled to the following Saturday(s) if inclement conditions occur.