Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation
I-66 West will close at Route 28 nightly April 11 to 15 to allow for installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66. During the overnight closures, traffic will be rerouted via Route 28 North, Westfields Boulevard, and Route 28 South to return to I-66 West. The Route 28 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 West during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
I-66 West at Route 28
- One lane will be closed from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. nightly.
- Between 11:00 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each night, all westbound lanes will be closed at Route 28.
- All traffic will be directed to exit to Route 28 North, continue north to the Westfields Boulevard West exit, stay to the right to Route 28 South, then follow signs to I-66 West. Drivers traveling to Route 28 South will follow the same detour route.
- The ramp to Braddock Road/Walney Road from I-66 West will remain open.
- All lanes will reopen by 6:00a.m.
Route 28 South at I-66
- The left lane will be closed nightly from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:00 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 28 Interchange is being reconstructed to improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28 and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
All lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 28 will be closed during the overnight hours Monday, April 11, through Friday, April 15, for installation of bridge beams for a new Route 28 South Bridge over I-66. All traffic will be detoured around the closure via Route 28 North.