Keep your Christmas Tree from becoming a Fire Hazard

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +


City of Manassas, VA . . . It is time to deck the halls, but make sure your decorations are safe and fireresistant this holiday season.  The City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department offer a few simple fire safety tips,which can keep electric lights, candles and the ever-popular Christmas treefrom creating a tragedy.


·      Don’t put your live Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks.


·      Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.


·      Keep live tree stands filled with water at all times.


·      Use only nonflammable decorations.


·      Don’t link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it’s safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.


·      Avoid using lit candles; consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.


·      Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don’t block an exit way.


If a fire does start in your home, call 9-1-1 immediately.  For more tips on how to prevent a holiday fire and what to do in case a fire starts in your home, visit the U.S. Fire Administration’s website at<>


Leave A Reply