Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
Multiple lanes on Route 28 near Sterling Boulevard will be closed during overnight hours again this weekend for crews to continue underground pipe installation work. Details are:
Friday night, June 7 (affects Route 28 South and North):
- 10:00 p. m.: Far two left lanes on southbound Route 28 to close
- 12:00 Midnight: Far two left lanes on northbound Route 28 to close
- All lanes to reopen by 7:00 a. m. on Saturday, June 8
Saturday night, June 8 (affects Route 28 North only):
- 10:00 p. m.: Ramp from northbound Route 28 to eastbound Sterling Boulevard to close
- 12:00 Midnight: Far two right lanes on northbound Route 28 to close
- All lanes to reopen by 7:00 a. m. on Sunday, June 9
Drivers should expect delays and plan accordingly. All work is weather dependent.
This pipe installation work is needed for an approximate two-mile widening of Route 28 from the Dulles Toll Road to Sterling Boulevard (Route 846), which is expected to be completed by mid-2020. This project is part of VDOT’s larger Route 28 Widening Project, which completed the widening of several sections of the major route near Dulles Airport in 2017. The Route 28 spot widening is funded by the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and the Route 28 Tax District, and is administered by VDOT.