Provided by Prince William County Police
In the Woodbridge/Dumfries/Triangle area (zip codes 22191, 22026 and 22172), there has been an increase in larcenies from vehicles. Specifically, exhaust systems, catalytic converters and/or mufflers are being
professionally cut and removed. These incidents are occurring at all hours of the day and the locations vary from commuter and commercial parking lots to residential communities.
- Be aware of your surroundings in parking lots. If you notice activity that looks out of place or suspicious, call the police immediately.
- During hours of reduced light and visibility, park your vehicle in well-lit areas where possible.
- Park close to building entrances or the nearest road in public parking lots. This leaves your car in a location where it will be visible.
- If you have a personal garage, keep your car parked inside with the vehicle locked and vehicle alarm system engaged.
- If your vehicle already has an alarm, adjust the security system to activate from vibrations, such as those produced by a saw.
- Install a catalytic converter-specific security device, or have it welded to the car frame. You can also engrave your car’s VIN number to the catalytic converter.
- Where feasible for added security, install video surveillance where you regularly park your vehicle.
Report all suspicious activity to the police: Dial 911 in an emergency, 703-792-6500 in non-emergencies.