Provided by City of Manassas Economic Development
Spotlighting events, partners, and history in the City of Manassas!
- Ice Skating 2023-2024 season begins Nov. 17 at Harris Pavilion (ends Feb. 19, 2024)
- Farmers Market (Saturdays) LAST ONE for the season Nov. 25, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Prince William Street Commuter Lot
- Santa Lights Manassas Dec. 1, 5:15 to 7 p.m. in Historic Downtown Manassas
- 77th Greater Manassas Christmas Parade Dec. 2, 10 a.m. to 12 noon in Historic Downtown Manassas
- Holiday Carriage Rides Dec. 3, 10, 17, 1 to 4 p.m. at Manassas Railroad Depot
Partner Spotlight: Heart Beat Gift Card
Stumped on gift ideas? The digital Heart Beat Gift Card is the best gift to surprise family, friends, colleagues, co-workers, team players – anyone on your list – including you!
Downtown shopping in Manassas in the early 1900s included hotspots like Hynson’s Department Store. Built in 1906 at the corner of Center and Main streets (shown at left in this photo), it supplied customers with the latest clothing styles, accessories, and more. Today, it’s home to CenterFuse, located at 9071 Center Street.
Charles Lemuel Hynson first owned a general merchandise store on Center Street in 1866; his store expanded and became Hynson’s Department Store. His brother, Frederick Warren Hynson, worked at the store known as “the quality shop.”
To aid a Kiwanis Club effort to post directional signs around town, club records show that “a large sign to aid aviators was painted on the roof of R S Hynson Dept Store.” A year later in 1930, an airport for Manassas was proposed, and was built in 1931 on Sudley Road (Va. Route 234), currently Manaport Plaza.
Today, Manassas offers hundreds of shopping spots throughout the City.
Now … let’s go shopping!