Maple Ridge Drive Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Thursday, March 24 at approximately 11:00 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a two-story single family home located in the 2700 block of Maple Ridge Drive in Woodbridge.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews were informed all occupants were safely out of the home as they observed fire blazing through the roof and front of the home with a roof collapse in the garage. Firefighters commenced defensive mode of attack until the bulk of the fire was knocked down then proceeded to make entry into the home and extinguish the fire.

One adult male sustained minor injuries from smoke inhalation and was flown to a local medical facility for further treatment and evaluation. Two family pets sustained injuries; one deceased, the other a broken leg and is currently receiving treatment at a local animal hospital. The family was alerted to the fire due to activation of the smoke detectors, enabling them to safely escape the home.

Red Cross was on site to assist the family, three adults and two children, displaced by the fire.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $267,500; a total loss.

A Building Inspector has been posted the home unsafe.

The fire originated on the porch; the cause has been determined accidental due to improper discarding of smoking materials. The National Weather Service issued a red flag warning for the day advising residents of critical fire weather conditions, wind and low humidity, contributing factors to the intensity and outcome of the fire.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives ( You double your chances of surviving a fire when you install working smoke alarms in your home.

Remember to:

  • Install smoke detectors on every level within the home, including the basement.
  • Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as needed.
  • NEVER remove the battery for use in other appliances.
  • Change batteries when you change clocks (spring and fall).
  • Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.

Proper maintenance of smoke detectors can cut the chances of dying in a house fire significantly.

In addition, Chief McGee would like to remind residents to take precautions when smoking and discarding of smoking materials:

  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Provide an area for individuals to properly extinguish and safely discard smoking materials.
  • Do not discard butts or ashes into mulch laden landscapes, flower beds, grassy areas, woods, flower pots, etc.
  • Before you throw out butts and ashes, douse in water or sand.
  • Use deep, wide, sturdy ashtrays on a sturdy foundation, e.g, a table.
  • Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
  • Be alert when smoking! You won’t be alert if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is used.
  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes (; they are less likely to cause fires.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.

Leave A Reply