Margate Court Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Monday, May 30 at 4:09 p. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to an apartment fire located in the 7500 block of Margate Court in Manassas.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered a kitchen fire in one of the apartment units. Firefighters extinguished the fire while searching for further fire extension; no extension was found.

No injuries reported.

The occupants, two adults and one child, were home at the time of the fire but safely evacuated the home.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are estimated at $15,000.

The area of origin was the stovetop. The cause has been determined as unattended cooking and has been determined as accidental.

Chief Kevin McGee of the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue ( would like to remind residents that cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. These fires are preventable by simply being more attentive when using cooking materials and equipment.

Look When You Cook:

  • Stay in the area of the cooking equipment when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
  • If you must leave the area, turn off the equipment.
  • When simmering, baking or roasting, check it frequently and use a timer as a reminder.
  • Keep cooking areas clean and clear of any and all combustibles (e.g., potholders, towels, rags, and food packaging).

Leave A Reply