Provided by Maryse C. Allen, Compton & Duling
Maryse Allen, a partner of Compton & Duling, L.C., is the head of the domestic relations practice at the firm. She is an experienced trial attorney who handles divorce litigation involving complex issues including:
- equitable distribution of property,
- business valuations,
- military and federal government retirement benefits,
- child and spousal support,
- child custody and visitation.
She believes in leaving no stone unturned in advancing her clients’ interests and aggressively pursues court rulings and favorable settlements for her clients.
Maryse is experienced in negotiating and drafting prenuptial, marital, separation and property settlement agreements. Ms. Allen is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education courses and she has received Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Influential Women of Law Award” (Inaugural Class, 2019). She has received an AV rating, which is the highest peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™. She has also received Super Lawyers designations (2016-2020), and the 2016 “10 Best” Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys.
What is your job and how long have you been with Compton & Duling?
As the head of the family law section of Compton & Duling, I supervise two associate attorneys and a legal assistant. I also represent clients in divorce, custody, support and other family law related cases. I’ve been with this firm for 17.5 years.
Briefly describe what a day in your work life looks like.
There is no typical day. I often have conferences with clients, write pleadings and motions, take depositions, appear in court and conduct settlement negotiations.
What is the best part about working for Compton & Duling?
There are many rewarding aspects of my work here! I get the most satisfaction from helping a client feel they have been heard and that we have achieved their goals.
What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy hiking, gardening, reading and spending time with my family.
What has one of your proudest moments been working for Compton & Duling?
In a recent case, I obtained an equitable distribution award for my client that several attorneys and a mediator claimed was impossible.
Anything else you want to add?
Compton & Duling, L.C. has been working to provide excellent legal services to our clients for more than fifty years. We strive to achieve great results while always maintaining the highest ethical standards. One of our greatest strengths is that we listen to our clients so that we truly understand their legal problems and concerns. Then, we communicate to ensure that they understand how we are going to move forward to achieve their goals.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ASSOCIATIONS
- Virginia State Bar Executive Committee, 2019-present
- Bar Council, 31st Judicial Circuit Representative, 2016-present
- Virginia State Bar Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee, 2019-present
- Prince William County Bar Association Board of Directors, since 2016
- Color of Justice Committee (Prince William County), 2019-present
- Hylton Performing Arts Center Gala Committee Member, 2018-2020
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association Board Member, 2010 – 2016
- President of the Virginia Women Attorneys Association, 2013-2014
- President of the Prince William Chapter of the Virginia Women Attorneys Association, 2011-2012
- Faculty member of National Business Institute Continuing Legal Education
- Virginia State Bar Standing Committee on Professionalism
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- American Bar Association, since 2002
- Prince William County Bar Association, since 1997
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- The ARC, Board of Directors, 2009-2011
- Beat the Odds Program, Mentor
- Prince William County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Turning Point Suffragist Memorial, Committee Member, 2010-2011