Provided by Transurban
Memorial Day can be a stressful time to travel. Check out tips below from the Express Lanes team before you hit the road.
Traffic on I-95 is expected to surge as early as Thursday, May 23. By taking the 95 Express Lanes, you can save as many as 75 minutes. So instead of sitting in traffic, you can start enjoying your long holiday weekend.
What to expect and when to travel
Last year, drivers took 245,000 trips on the 95 Express Lanes between Thursday, May 24 and Monday, May 28. Drivers who took the Lanes saved an average of 40 minutes during busy travel times, with some saving more than one hour compared to drivers who used the regular lanes.
- Traffic will likely be heaviest on Thursday, May 23 and Friday, May 24. If you’re headed south, the best times to travel are:
- Thursday, May 23: before 3:00 p. m. or after 7:00 p. m.
- Friday, May 24: before 10:00 a. m. or after 6:00 p. m.
- Saturday, May 25: before 9″00 a. m. or after 12:00 p. m.
- Toll prices may be higher than normal during busy travel times, so it pays to plan ahead. Check real-time toll pricing and live traffic updates before you hit the road at ExpressLanes.com or the free Express Lanes mobile app (download at Apple App Store® or the Google Play Store®).
- The 95 Express Lanes reversal schedule will be adjusted to make travel throughout the region easier.
- Thursday, May 23: Southbound opens around 12:30 p. m.
- Friday, May 24: Southbound opens around 12:30 p. m.
- Saturday, May 25: Normal reversal schedule. Open northbound around 4:00 p. m.
- Sunday, May 26: Open northbound all day. Due to the Rolling Thunder Event, the 95 Express Lanes will be closed from 7:30 a. m. until 11:00 a. m. or until the event is finished.
- Monday, May 27: Open northbound all day.
How to stay updated
Once you’re on the road, pricing and traffic updates will be available on overhead signs. Updates will also be available online via Twitter (@VAExpressLanes). Please don’t use your phone while driving. Either have a road trip partner give you info or wait until you stop for gas or a snack.
Remember: you need an E-ZPass® or E-ZPass® Flex to use the 95 and 495 Express Lanes. If your out-of-town visitors accidently hop on the Lanes without an E-ZPass® or E-ZPass® Flex, don’t panic. They can simply head to ExpressLanes.com/pay or reach out to the customer service center at 1-855-497-9777 when they get to their destination.