New Sidewalk Built as Part of the Safe Routes to School Program

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William County

A piece of Antietam Road now has a new sidewalk to make things easier for people walking the stretch of road once bordered by gravel and grass. The project runs 1,900 feet from Woodfern Court all the way to Old Bridge Road and is near Antietam and Old Bridge elementary schools, Lake Ridge Middle School and Woodbridge Senior High School.

The sidewalk is the first project in Prince William County to be completed under the “Safe Routes to School” program, said Ludvik Kulczycki of the county’s Department of Transportation.  According to the Safe Routes to School website, the program is a partnership between local jurisdictions and the federal government to promote safe walking and bicycling to and from school.

Occoquan District Supervisor Ruth Anderson called the sidewalk an “amazing improvement” for the area. “This is a public safety improvement and the people that live here on Antietam have been waiting for this for a very long time. This is fabulous for the Occoquan District,” Anderson said.

The project, which cost $930,000, was completed on time and under budget. Federal funds paid 80 percent of the cost to complete the sidewalk. Prince William County contributed the remaining 20 percent of the cost, Kulczycki said.

For more information about transportation projects in the county, visit pwcgov.org/transportation.

Share.

Comments are closed.