Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
Continued bridge beam installation for the new Route 50 West Bridge over I-66 will require lane closures and stoppages on I-66 West and Route 50 West during the overnight hours March 14 to 19. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
The ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West will also be closed these nights.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area during these times and should consider using alternate routes.
Sunday, March 14, through Friday, March 19
I-66 West from Waples Mill Road to Route 50
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road each night from 9:30 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic brief stoppages of up to 10 minutes between 12:00 midnight and 4:00 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:00 a.m. (by 9:00 a.m. Saturday).
Route 50 West from Waples Mill Road to I-66
- Route 50 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 each night from 10:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. (until 6:00 a.m. Saturday)
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between 10:30 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. (by 6:00 a.m. Saturday)
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 West, and then follow signs to I-66 West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Beam lifts for the new Route 50 East Bridge were completed last month.
Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.