Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue
On Sunday, November 22nd, at approximately 9:30 p.m., fire and rescue crews were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 4100 block of Potomac Highlands Circle in Triangle.
Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed light smoke throughout the residence and activation of the sprinkler system that had suppressed and extinguished a fire within the garage area. PWL Firefighters searched for further extension; no further extension was found.
No injuries reported.
Preliminary damages are estimated at $2500; damages would have been considerably higher if not for activation of the sprinkler system which quickly controlled, contained and extinguished the fire.
According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the area of origin was the garage; the cause improper disposal of charcoal bricks and has been determined accidental.
Prince William County Fire & Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents when disposing of fire pit/fireplace bricks/ashes keep these safety tips in mind:
- Douse and saturate the bricks/ashes with water.
- Allow bricks/ashes to cool (at least 4 days) before disposing.
- Dispose of bricks/ashes in a tightly covered metal container.
- Place the brick/ash container a safe distance from your home (at least 10 feet).
- DO NOT store in or around your home, garage or other nearby buildings.
In addition, Chief McGee would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives www.pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms and when a home contains both working smoke alarms and a home fire-sprinkler system www.pwcgov.org/Sprinklers, you increase your chances of surviving a fire by 82%.