Program Offers Help to Rehabilitate Homes

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William County

Prince William County Seal

There’s federal grant money available for low- to moderate-income families who need certain home repairs done. The Neighborhood Housing Rehabilitation Program is designed to offer financial assistance to property owners in Prince William County and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park, who use their home as a primary residence, to correct health and safety issues, as well to increase energy efficiency within their properties.

“The Neighborhood Housing Rehabilitation Program is a program that assists owner-occupied properties with energy efficient upgrades to their home to remedy health and safety issues,” said Joan Duckett, the Prince William County Community Planning and Development Division Chief with the Office of Housing and Community Development. “The money is used to rehab them to bring them up to building code requirements, as well.”

People who are eligible to use the program are those who have a gross household income of $47,600 or less for a single person living in the house and $54,400 or less for a two-person household. Families with three people living in the house need to make no more than $61,200 and families of four have to make $68,000 or less, according to county documents.

The funding provides for $25,000 of the rehabilitation work as a grant with no repayment and a second deferred deed of trust and promissory note for any cost beyond the $25,000 grant. The trust will not be due and payable until the property ceases to be the principal residence, or is sold, or the borrower fails or neglects to pay the taxes, assessments, or premiums for hazard flood, if required, or mortgage insurance, or terms of the deed of trust are violated. When this happens then the deferred deed of trust principal only is repaid.

Repairs for energy improvements — including replacing heating and air systems, installing insulation, painting, replacing gutters, installing new windows, and replacing or repairing roofs and siding — are some of the improvements that would be covered under the program, Duckett said. PWL The money could also be used for accessibility improvements, such as building ramps and widening doorways to make the home compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The Office of Housing and Community Development will assess eligibility, Duckett said. “The process is that our office will do a visual inspection; and based on that inspection, we work with the homeowners to determine the items that need to be repaired.”

Once the process is initiated, people from the housing office will assist the property owner with contractor selection, inspect the work, make disbursements on behalf of the property owner and serve as a liaison between the property owner and the contractor.

People who are interested in applying for the program can obtain a questionnaire and application from the Office of Housing and Community Development by calling 703-492-2303 or going to the housing department’s website. Once the information is returned, it will be screened for eligibility requirements and the initial inspection conducted.


Leave A Reply

Follow this blog

Get a weekly email of all new posts.