Provided by Prince William County
The Prince William Board of County Supervisors recently saw presentations from the Prince William and Virginia departments of transportation showing the status of road projects across the county.
Prince William Department of Transportation projects include:
- Design on the Route 28 Phase II project between Fitzwater Drive and Vint Hill Road is complete and construction is scheduled to begin this spring and run through September 2019.
- Design has been completed on the Vint Hill Road extension with construction scheduled to begin in September 2017. Construction is scheduled to run until September 2019.
- Route 28 Phase III between Linton Hall Road and Pennsylvania Avenue is in the design phase, which will run until May 2018. Construction is scheduled to begin in May 2018 and run until September 2020.
- Authorization to begin design work on the Discovery Boulevard extension was issued in January and a meeting with VDOT to set the scope of the work is tentatively scheduled for mid-March. The beginning of construction is tentatively scheduled for the fall of 2017.
- The design phase on the Burwell Road paving project will begin later this month with construction set to begin and end this summer.
- Construction on two left-turn lanes on southbound Dumfries Road at Hoadly Road is scheduled to begin this summer with completion scheduled for spring 2018.
- Gas line relocation for the project to widen Minnieville Road between Spriggs Road and Virginia 234 is complete. Other utility relocations are underway. Tree clearing has begun. Construction completion is scheduled for October 2018.
- The project to build a sidewalk and pedestrian improvements at Smoketown Road and Opitz Boulevard are in the preliminary design phase with 90 percent of the design plans to be submitted by March 17. Construction is scheduled to begin this summer.
- Construction on the Antietam Road sidewalk is underway with completion scheduled for July 2017.
- Final plans for the Old Bridge Road sidewalk are expected to be submitted to VDOT and Prince William County’s Department of Development Services for final review and approval later this month. Design completion is scheduled for this spring. Construction is scheduled to be complete December 2017.
- Construction on the Dumfries Road shared-use path between Country Club and Exeter Drives is scheduled to begin in May.
- Design on the Dumfries Road shared-use path between Four Seasons and Talon Drives is scheduled to be complete by April, with construction set to begin in May and finish in the fall of 2017.
- Clearing at the site for the Powell’s Creek Footbridge project is 95 percent complete. Other tree clearing might be affected because of a threat to the Northern Long Eared Bat. Construction is scheduled to be complete in September.
- Utility relocations on the Route 1 widening project between Featherstone Road and Mary’s Way are scheduled to begin in January 2018. Estimated construction date is April 2018. The county has asked VDOT for approval to proceed with rights-of-way acquisition.
- Final design for the Southampton Street Sidewalk project between Montgomery Avenue and Pine Lane will complete 630 feet of sidewalk for the Potomac Woods Senior Living facility. Final design for the project is scheduled for completion in September. Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2018.
For more information on county transportation projects, visit the county’s website: pwcgov.org/transportation.
Virginia Department of Transportation projects include:
- Work continues on the Interstate 66 and the Route 15 Interchange Reconstruction project in Haymarket. Construction is scheduled to be complete in late summer 2017. The Diverging Diamond Interchange opened in January.
- Construction on the U.S. 1 – Va. 123 Interchange project will be phased. Phase I will include the widening of U.S. 1 between Annapolis Way to Mary’s Way. The intersection interchange, or Phase II, of the project remains unfunded. Roadway and retaining wall construction is underway. Pile driving has started, and day and night closures for utility undergrounding continue.
- Rehabilitation of the one-lane, signal-controlled bridge crossing of Bull Run on Old Centreville Road is scheduled to be complete in late 2017.
- Funding for a sidewalk on Va. 234 between Four Seasons Drive and Fortuna Center Plaza has been identified and the advertisement for bids to complete the project is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2018.
- Construction on ramp modifications on Dale Boulevard at Interstate 95 and Ashdale Plaza are scheduled to begin later this month.
- A survey to install a traffic light at Blackburn Road and Rippon Boulevard has been completed. Right-of-way acquisition phase is scheduled to begin this spring with an advertisement for bids expected to go out in late 2017.
- Design is scheduled to start soon on adding a turn lane and a traffic light on Williamson Boulevard at Stonehouse Drive. A survey is underway.
- The I-66 Park & Ride project in Haymarket will add 230 parking spaces at the northeast quadrant of I-66 and Route 15. Preliminary design is underway and VDOT is working with the adjacent property owner regarding access.
- Upcoming meetings on the I-95 Express Lanes – Fredericksburg Extension Study will be held March 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Freedom High School at 15201 Neabsco Mills Road in Woodbridge and March 14, between 6 and 8 p.m. at Stafford High School at 63 Stafford Indians Lane in Stafford.
For more information on VDOT projects and studies visit virginiadot.org.